Thursday, January 5, 2012

Baking Basic Muffins

The last few days on Long Island, we have gotten our first taste of really cold weather.  So I decided to bake some "Basic Muffins" to go with tea and jam.
The first ingredient was four (4) cups of unbleached flour.   I sifted it too.
The next ingredient was 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
 After that I added two (2) tablespoons of baking powder,
 one (1) teaspoon of salt,
two (2) cups of milk
 2/3 cup vegetable oil
 and two(2) eggs.
 I mixed up the batter,
 then I whisked it a bit to reduce some of the lumps, but not all of them.
 I greased the 12 cup muffin pan with vegetable oil and a brush,
 then I poured the batter into the cups 2/3 full.
The batter also filled my six (6) cup pan which makes a larger muffin.
The oven was pre-heated to 400 degrees F.
 I put the two pans in to bake.
 This recipe came from a book by Dimetra Makris, from 1987.  Since I volunteer at a community thrift shop several days a week, I look out for older cookbooks because they have time tested recipes and a more "back to basics" approach.
 When the muffins are brown around the edges they are done, 20-25 minutes.
 As a tea drinker, and a thrift shop volunteer, I have a collection of English bone china teacups and small singleton serving plates.  Since It is January I used this pattern  with the snowdrops.


 This special cup and saucer is made in England by the Royal Albert company, and is part of a series of monthly patterns.
 The small plate that I served the muffin on has a lovely transfer print.
This is the mark on the reverse side.

A little jam and a cup of tea can't be topped on a cold January day.
The remaining muffins are stored in plastic bags and put in the freezer since I use one or two at a time.  It's like having money in the bank! 

Basic Muffins
(I doubled this recipe)
2 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter or vegetable oil
1 egg

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

They look delicious and I like the pairing with the English bone china!

this is my patch said...

I've only just discovered the art of muffin making with a batter mix. Glad I did! x

PS. Happy New Year!