Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentine's Day Chocolate Vegan Cake

 
This is a wonderfully rich chocolate cake recipe, that was in a local health food store handout.  It is a vegan chocolate cake, and tastes like it should be outlawed!
If your Valentine loves chocolate try this out.  The ingredients are simple, and the cake bakes well in a spring form pan.
The first dry ingredient is  2 1/2 cups of unbleached flour.  I didn't even sift the flour and the cake still came out very fluffy and light.
 
Next add 2 cups of granulated sugar.  ( I know that this sounds like a lot, but I just spent 1 1/2 hours shoveling the snow from the apron of my driveway!)
 Add 1 teaspoon Sea Salt,
then 1 1/2 teaspoons of Baking Powder.
 
Add to the dry ingredients 2/3 cup Cocoa.
 Blend dry ingredients until the mixture is a light tan.
  
 Make two large wells and two smaller wells in the dry ingredients.
Add 2 cups water to one well, and
2/3 cup Canola oil to another well.
Add 2 teaspoons of Vanilla to a small well, and 
2 teaspoons white Vinegar to the last small well.
 
When the wells are filled filled,
 
blend all ingredients into a smooth rich chocolate batter, and brush the inside of a spring form pan with the Canola oil.
 Bake in a 350F degree oven for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  This is a loose batter, so I placed a baking sheet under the pan in case it leaked out a bit.  This did not affect the cake.
After the cake has cooled, remove the spring form pan. and 
place a peper plate on top and flip over the cake to remove the center section of the pan.  
Then flip it back on to a cake plate with a doily, and using a plastic doily stencil, sift confectioners sugar on top.
Nothing beats this cake for taste and ease of baking.  It doesn't even need icing.  You could add whipped cream if you have to, but I prefer it just this way.
Since I love a good cup of tea with desert, I looked for something that would reflect the Valentine spirit.  This strawberry cup was the closest that I could come. 
 
The mark  on the bottom of the cup and saucer reads, "Strawberry  Fruit Garden collection, Roy Kirkham, fine bone china, England, 1990."

Happy Valentine's Day to all.

Vegan Chocolate Cake2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cup cocoa

2 cups water
2/3 cup Canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons vinegar

Bake a 350F degrees for about 40 minutes in a spring form pan.





6 comments:

JC said...

That sounds easy enough for me to do. (I'm a terrible cook..I try every once in a while)

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Thanks JC I'm sure that you can get this done!

Willow said...

I'm thinking that a few chocolate chips on scattered through the batter would be a tasty addition...

Would the cake bake up in a square or rectangle pan or in round layers?

Elizabeth said...

Coll cake, Lori

a prize for all your shoveling.
Glad your tea cup was English!

Pieces of Dreams said...

Hi Lori! Love your cake and just joined your blog...I am new to blogging and yours is the very first that I have joined. I have similar recipe called "Wacky Cake", using the same ingredients minus the vanilla in slightly different amounts. I love that recipe and can't wait to try yours. Love the illustrated instructions. You are an inspiration!

this is my patch said...

Your chocolate cake looks amazing. I'd like whipped cream with mine please! What a lovely cup and saucer, with its red perfect for Valentines Day. I hope you enjoyed yours. x