Friday, May 22, 2009

Blues & Purples in the Jarvis House Garden

Not the most exotic iris, but what a color! There are many blooms and leaves in the Jarvis Garden today that would be characterized as having a "blue or purple" quality.Wood Hyacinth.Cat Mint.Purple Columbine,and the usual lavender Columbine.Corn Flowers, named after the shape and color of its seeds, and very easy to naturalize.A late blooming tree like Azalea with a purple bloom that has a white "water mark."The ever faithful Perennial Geranium, which should be tucked in everywhere.This is a tall weed that invaded my garden. It is unbelievably difficult to remove, but fortunately it has a very nice Phlox like bloom and comes out in several shades of purple and white.Myrtle, the bluest flower of them all.The typical purple Rhododendron, beautiful in the shade and grows very tall.This is a very large Rhododendron which has a deep purple tongue. I planted it in the wrong spot, and it is crowding out the boxwood shrubs. I limbed it up last year and the flowers this year are showing me that I cannot take the chance of moving it.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

For some reason one has to really work to get a lot of blue. Pink and yellow are much easier.
The iris is one of my favorites.

Tess Kincaid said...

I especially love the violet blooms! Your garden is just glorious, Lori.

The Clever Pup said...

Just found your blog. It caught my eye because there used to be a bar/saloon in Toronto called The Jarvis House. It was on Jarvis Street. Well curated blog. I liked the piece about your dad.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!