Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hostas of the Jarvis House Garden Large, Medium, Small & Mini

We might as well start with the largest Hosta that grows in the Jarvis Garden.  The award is taken by a variety known as "Sum & Substance." 
It is hard to get the enormity of this plant without seeing it first hand in the garden.  Photographs really do not relay how huge this plant can become.  This one is in a very deeply shaded area of the garden, and had been growing there for several years.
I broke apart one clump last fall and planted several small roots.  This came up this spring.
The blue Hosta which measures the largest is the "Sieboldiana Elegans".
 The terracotta flower pot next to it is very large and the Sieboldiana dwarfs it.
I think that these are the only actual variety names that I know, except for 
this little guy, "Golden Tiara."   I use it in cement pots too.
I partnered these with a New Guinea Impatiens plant. 
 This is a large curly variety, and has the surface which resembles Seersucker fabric.
The leaves turn upwards which is a nice feature.
 A tryly beautiful Hosta
which I found at a roadside stand.
Another larger Hosta is this pale blue,
it grows quickly and is easy to split for a boarder.
Halcyon is a tall growing steel gray blue Hosta.
I may look like one of the others pictured before, but make no mistake, the growing habit of this plant is very different.
A  Hosta which resembles the Halcyon in its height and habit is this one with yellow and deep green foliage.
It is growing in a very dark and wet corner, but It seems to love that environment.
This variety is small and light yellow green.
I am starting to make a boarder around a Rhododendron bush.
Another small Hosta is this blue.
It makes a very tight mound and is beautiful with other contrasting small leaf Hoatas.
The small Hosta next to it is colored green with a lovely blue edge.
It also makes a very tight mound.
A very large leafed variety is this Hosta
which I used at the end of a Hosta boarder.
I saw this last week at a roadside farm stand.  It has a creamy yellow boarder and very shiny dark centers.
I planted it underneath the Quince tree where it is very low and wet.  Yellow flag Iris are behind it picking up the edge color of the Hosta.
This is a very small variety which is partnered with Sweet Woodruff and Pachysandra, under a Rhododendron.
This is a medium leaf, which is near
a really strange new Hosta.
It has a cream halo around a deep blue green leaf.   This Hosta grows upright and large.  I only have this one, so I treasure it.
In the Fall, I will separate the two plants, but for now I hope that it will grow strong and tall.
These are the mini Hostas that I planted underneath the split leaf maple out front.  
That was the only way I could find them in the wiles of the Jarvis Garden.
The smallest one.
If you can identify any of these varieties, e-mail me, but for now,  I just enjoy their differences. The hunt goes on.  There are thousands of Hosta types!

3 comments:

Sinclair said...

I cannot identify, but those are beautiful shades of green! It has been like winter here still. Cold and rainy almost every day, with hail last Friday, and snow on the ridges across the way over the last two nights. Just finally planted my garden plants outdoors...hope they make it!

Elizabeth said...

Well, a splendid post referenced on World Examining!
Loved seeing them in person.

Jane McBride said...

What beautiful hostas! I planted four or five last year and they came back just fine, but aren't very big. It's been pretty dry in Southeast Texas and my hostas get some sun. I do water them well and have three inches of mulch on the bed they are in.