Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving 2015

Happy Thanksgiving from the Jarvis House.
 My kitchen  hutch, made of pine, is a wonderful place to display holiday collectibles.
 I partnered the fall objects with greeting cards that I water colored.
All of the pumpkins and gourds are faux! 
 This is one of my Callicarpa bushes.
 The first one that I planted did so well in my garden that I have added two others.  When you trim the stems in the Spring, the bush produces a huge crop of berries.  In the wild, the berries are sparse.
The berries are very attractive to winter birds, like Cardinals, Blue Jays, Mocking Birds, Cat Birds, and last year,  Robins.
 This is a perennial Chrysanthemum that I propagate each year.  Originally, many, many years ago, it came from a bouquet that my Mother received.
 This particular Chrysanthemum  roots in wet soil, whether in a pot or the earth, without hormones. Just cut the green stems and plant.  Keep it watered. This year my starts produced flowers.  A much better bet for a frugal  gardener like me. The hot house plants bloom for a very short time.  These remain until Thanksgiving.
 The grafted split leaf maple
The split leaf maple that I grew from two leaves, picked out of someone's lawn forty years ago.  A true mutant plant.
 The remaining blooms from a blue hydrangea.
 They turned red late in the fall.
 A knockout Rose,
 which is still making buds.
 The Marigolds out front.
Still blooming, and what a color.  Grown from last year's seeds.  A much better choice than Chrysanthemums.
 The Crepe Myrlte
 whose leaves turn red and yellow.
 Marigolds in an urn,
 and near the birdbath, both grown from last year's seeds.
 Blue Berry plants
The Euonymus shrub.
 The Oak leaf Hydrangea
with its bronze leaves and flowers.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Super post!
Happy thanksgiving 🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃