Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Signs of Spring at the Jarvis House

Finally!  Signs of Spring.  Here are two beautiful early blue Crocus flowers in the sun.  Today it was 57 degrees F.  This was a picture of my thermometer in the earlier part of the day, and it was even in the shade!  We haven't seen those numbers for months!
Walking around the garden I saw an early yellow Crocus, and 
clumps of snowdrops.  Over the years, I have transplanted their bulbs so that
they make a boarder all avound the back garden.  Depending upon the exposure to the sun, different sections bloom at different times.
Seeing the snowdrops gives one hope that the snow is finally over, but they do grow through snow.
These early crocus bulbs bloom right through the leaves and twigs that collect in the winter.
Just a week or so, the Canada Geese were pushing away the snow under my bird feeding tree.
The driveway was covered in ice and snow.
The snow is gone, they fly in from the park and wander in the back.
Sometimes there can be as many as 14 geese pecking around.  OK, I do feed them wild bird seed, but it is very interesting watching their antics and their habits.
Over the winter there were at least 4 or 5 pairs of Cardinals at the feeders.  Here is one male singing his heart out, today in the walnut tree.
 
A few more days like this and these daffodil buds will explode into saggy pom-poms.  
This is a special yellow Rhododendron that was new last year.  It looks like it made it through the winter, and will bloom.
A Montauk Daisy has sprouts that will grow out and bloom in August.
I will keep looking for more signs of life and growth.

10 comments:

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

Wow, I went looking for posts on snowdrops and I found yours, and I am glad I did. This is the way to grow them, in vast quanities.
Beautiful.

dianasfaria.com said...

Yay for Spring! Now I have to go out and check our backyard.
; )

JC said...

I love your photos !!!

robert schmid said...

finally spring!!

BernieH said...

I just love the border of snowdrops - that's something I never to get to see in my corner of the world. Lovely photos as spring slowly unfolds her magic.

Pieces of Dreams said...

Your photos are just beautiful! Just what I needed to see today (back to cloudy and gray on the Cape)! Thank you so much for the lift and for your note and invitation to Jarvis House!

Sinclair said...

Wonderful! We have snowdrops and they were first to bloom. Then the crocus, and now the daffodils and poppies are into the season as well.

Love your photos!

Pieces of Dreams said...

Hi Lori, for sending your inspirational sightings of spring and visiting my blog. It seems that our seasons are very closely related and that we are both chomping at the bit for any sign of it. Can't wait until we are thrown full force...Do you experience the same thing we do with the summer flux and overflow of tourists? Love, karen

Katrinshine said...

Amazing photos!! I feel spring )

this is my patch said...

Haven't the gardens come on in leaps and bounds in the last month. I am finding it difficult to keep up with mine! x